What an interesting conversation!  I had no idea when I originally asked.
 Now I see that what Deacon does works for Deacon and what Doug, or
Patrick, or Rich, or...... anyone else does probably works for them and not
just because of physics but because of lifestyle and personality.

I have three hobbies - hand tool woodworking, bike riding, and tending a
small garden.  All three of them have in common that they use tools as an
extension of my body and soul.  It's important to me that the tools work
seamlessly with my body.  My woodworking tool collection includes some that
are a hundred years old, some that are forty and some that are brand new,
but each one is a joy to hold and use.  I maintain them meticulously.  Same
goes for my bicycles.  I want it to run quietly, respond predictably and
shift perfectly, every time. That's why I ride Rivendells.  I run  a 9
speed friction set up and find this works great if I start with high
quality parts and keep them in good condition.  I'm also constitutionally
opposed to a throw away world.  (I once brought a twenty five year old
microwave into a repair shop, only to be greeted with gales of laughter)  I
recently brought  a Milwaukee drill into a shop to get the switch replaced.
 The service man took one look at it and said, "You've had this awhile
haven't you."  and I thought OMG, I've become my father!  I run ultegra
cassettes, connex chains and Sugino's best rings,  White's or TAs.  Letting
them wear out prematurely is not a good option.

I appreciate all the feedback.  Thank you all.  I think I'm going to give
Squirt a try.  I've been looking at sonic cleaners on line.  Everyone I
looked at in the $75 range seemed to have about a 15% early failure rate.
 The Molten site sells one for $139 plus up to $25 for shipping.  Ouch.
 Maybe I'll give more traditional cleaning methods a deeper try as a prep
for wax.

Doug reminds me that on a sticky hot day,  going down into the cool of the
basement and cleaning bike parts isn't all bad.

Michael