Hey Bunch,

I rebuilt a 19"/48cm 1987 Trek 330 Elance for my partner with 650b wheels
and albatrosses. I thought it would fit but it's too big for her. In
retrospect, I actually just *wanted* the frame to fit because I liked it so
much, and thought I could make it work. It doesn't. She could use another
inch of standover room. I don't think going down one size in a similar
road/sport-touring frame would be enough -- not to mention hard to find.

I'm thinking of a mountain bike frame from the 90s for her instead, as
shorter standover heights are more common, and I have a good 26" wheelset
lying around with no use. Worried, however, about weight...

I'd love any recommendations of specific models, tubing, etc to look for as
I hunt; or, if you have something that fits the bill. Just looking for a
frame + fork (headsets, BBs and seatposts welcome but not necessary)
*Here are her requirements:*

   - 26" (or 650b converted)
   - <74cm standover height (with 26x1.5-2.0 or 650x38-42b tires, give or
   take)
   - not a mixte or step-through (her demand, not mine!)
   - not too heavy, we live up a couple flights of stairs with no elevator
   - cannot be a tank!
   - rim brake, no disc
   - under $400 for frame+fork

*Her Trek:*
Size 19", has a 47.5cm ST and a 74cm SO (frame has a sloping top tube, so
it varies) with 650 x 38b tires.
*It's a great frameset with 531 tubing - will be putting it up for sale
once I get a replacement for her.*

Let me know if I'm forgetting anything. Thanks for reading!

Patch
BK/NY