Eric and Peter have definitely given you the advice you needed. I just
wanted to add an anecdotal point, when I first switched to dynamo lighting
I thought the light was dim and was slightly disappointed on my first ride
(maybe couple rides).
After riding for a while with the light which I first thought might be too
dim I started to realize how much better I could actually see the road and
also how much better I could see things that weren't in the direct path of
my light.
The dynamo light I installed was also my first time using a light with the
shaped beam found in European style lights. My old battery powered lights
just made one super bright spot of light which sure seemed brighter but the
more even spread of the dynamo, which seemed dimmer, sure makes seeing at
night much better.
So if after adjusting your light up it seems dimmer, don't worry, it's just
the light spreading more evenly across the road.