Patrick Moore said: "My own ideal dirt road cogsets are very similar, only
starting with a 13 and swapping the 21 for a 22 and adding a 25 or 26 at
the back."

What chainrings do you use with this ideal 10-speed 13-25/6?

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

On Monday, June 15, 2020 at 10:27:02 AM UTC-7, Patrick Moore wrote:

> 10-speed straight block! It's beautiful. My own ideal dirt road cogsets
> are very similar, only starting with a 13 and swapping the 21 for a 22 and
> adding a 25 or 26 at the back.
>
> The only closer-ratio cogset is the secret "Polish Team17 X 17" cogset,
> with apologies to Poles everywhere.
>
> My own experience, not extensive, with index-shifting home-made cogsets is
> that they work pretty well post-7-speed. You might have to very slightly
> overshift on certain cogs, but not to the point where it's annoying --
> certainly no worse than OEM Shimano XT stock 7-speed indexing.
>
> [image: image.png]
>
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 11:12 AM Bill Lindsay <tape...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
>> [image: IMG_0777.jpg]
>> Here's my first proof-of-existence of a cassette that does not exist as
>> an off the shelf product:  It's a 100% Shimano HG500, 10 speed, 12-21
>> straight block.
>>
>> On my Rivendell Roadeo, with a 46/30 crankset, that will give me the
>> following gears:
>>
>> 46 30
>> 12 103.5 67.5
>> 13 95.6 62.3
>> 14 88.7 57.9
>> 15 82.8 54
>> 16 77.6 50.6
>> 17 73.1 47.7
>> 18 69 45
>> 19 65.4 42.6
>> 20 62.1 40.5
>> 21 59.2 38.6
>> The way I have the chainline biased for minimum Q-factor, that
>> effectively gives me a 1x10 in the big ring that will cover 60 - 100 gear
>> inches.  I'll avoid the smallest three cogs with the 30T chainring.  The
>> largest 7 cogs spread evenly over the 40 - 55 inch range.
>>
>> I haven't confirmed how well this indexes in the stand, but I'll check
>> that out shortly.  The on-the-road question I will ask myself will be
>> whether I find the steps between gears annoyingly TOO SMALL.
>>
>> It definitely looks cool
>>
>> Bill Lindsay
>> El Cerrito, CA
>>

>> On Thursday, June 11, 2020 at 5:42:48 PM UTC-7, Bill Lindsay wrote:
>>>
>>> I bought six Shimano HG500 10 speed cassettes.  Three of the 12-28 size
>>> and three of the 11-32 size.
>>>
>>> I ground off the heads of the rivets holding the cogs together, and
>>> pulled the cogs apart, and now I have the sweet beginnings of a fully
>>> stocked cog board.  The two cassettes yield:
>>>
>>> 11T lockring
>>> 12T lockring
>>> 11T first position
>>> 12T first position