I can't imagine this post will last too long, despite the Moulton
connection!

But glad to see that he's aware and acknowledging that these issues persist
today, and I for one am happy to see you bring it up. These kinds of issues
get labelled as political, but that's a cop-out. It's about being a decent
human being in my books. I've been really heartened by how mainstream these
difficult discussions have become, and I hope the momentum continues for
some real change. As a society, we tend to get used to things, regardless
of how sane or insane they are. Things that are perceived as totally normal
in one country are considered absolutely bizarre in another, and it has
nothing to do with the predisposition of its people - that's the key thing
about all of this - we are all the same, regardless of our background. We
all have different personalities but that's totally independent of our
heritage--if we sorted ourselves by our mutual interests and skills, it
would be a pretty diverse mix.

One of those things that has become perceived as normal in North America is
that the police are a huge, armed presence that are kind of a
one-size-fits-all solution to a host of problems. There are a multitude of
different ways the security of society could be accomplished that look very
different from today's model, so the idea 'defund the police' is not nearly
as radical as it sounds. it has a bit of a click-baity vibe to it, which i
think does a lot of harm to its credibility, but the idea is actually very
sound. Similarly, the term 'industrial prison complex' sounds like
straight-up lunatic speak in my opinion, yet if you spend the time to
really understand how this feedback loop works in modern society, it's a
real and credible problem. I'm thankful for how much information has come
to light in all this, I've become a lot better educated and know better how
to help than ever before, and I hope others do the same.