I think the main advantage of the RBW ball and socket seat lug is that it
works for most any seat stay to seat tube angle, so one casting works for
all sizes.
Aesthetics are always in the eye of the beholder. Personally I like the
looks of the new lug fine. Of course others may not.
Another beneficial feature of the new lug is that the stays will trap the
handle end of a frame pump nicely. On my FJ Sr. I put a topeak frame pump
along the back side of the seat tube with one end on the left side chain
stay and the other tucked between the seat stays at the seat lug. Nice.