Paul:

Great to hear you're enjoying your ride.  The current Atlantis is the most
comfortable one yet.

Short history:  Toyo built the Atlantis for a long time, and while it was
updated a bit here'n'there, it was mostly things like adding braze-ons &
minor running changes.  A few years ago (I'm a bit vague on exactly when)
production moved to Waterford.  At that point, the chainstays got just a
bit longer.  Not so much as to be obvious but for a while there was a geo
chart for that version & the differences were subtle.  The MIT version was
a major change to significantly longer chainstays.

I have an '03 58 cm Atlantis that I simply love, and have put thousands of
miles on in the last 17 years.  A couple of years ago, I was at RBWHQ and
took a ride on the current (MIT) version and was simply amazed.  The ride
was noticeably more cushy.  We did some trails close to the shop and the
bike handled as well as mine on single track (Note:  I'm not an aggressive
off-roader).  You've really got the best of both worlds.  Another benefit
to the longer wheelbase is if you run rear panniers more of the weight is
forward of the rear axle for a more stable ride.  I also think that space
between the seat tube and the rear wheel just begs for a frame bag.

I toyed with the idea of upgrading to the new design, but felt guilty about
abandoning an old friend who has serve me so well.

dougP