I don't think there is an issue with 28 spoke wheel failing, even in
dirt.. plenty of cross racers ride stuff like that without issue. I
find the lower count wheels ride stiffer, I assume because of higher
spoke tension. But I've only ridden one set of those so far so my
sample size is limited.

~Mike~