I totally relate to Ash and Will on the preference for a stronger rear
brake, as my Bombadil is set up this way using 2 different models of cantis
on it. On my local back roads many are unpaved and rather primitive, and
all them very hilly, some of which are well over 20 percent grades. Going
downhill on these with loose rocks and dirt over over hard larger
rocky/limestone surface can be very tricky to say the least. There's no way
I'd want a v-brake on front that could lock up, ever !! If the front brake
has no modulation, it's worthless to me.

The beauty of canti is there are endless models and infinite ways of
setting them up. You can use short or long pads, thin or thick, and they
all work. I rather prefer the smooth post style also.

On the front you can exchange the stem mounted cable stop for the Tektro
fork mounted one, which allows for a cleaner direct-cable look, if that
matters, and those hangers from my experience made an already good brake
into an outstanding one. (XC Pro canti on my Frankllin). I have one of
these hangers for my Bombadil also but haven't gotten around to putting it
on yet, hah !

I'm referring to these :

<https://cdn.bike24.net/i/mb/41/e2/24/139497-00-c-240636.jpg>