I had similar experiences as Clark did. I went through bikes by Surly, Bianchi
and SOMA trying to outfit them as Riv-like country bikes.  I spent a few
thousand dollars upgrading parts on each bike and never achieved the ride
quality I had experienced test riding Rivs.  I eventually sold all those bikes
at a substantial loss and finally bought the Hillborne I should have bought
initially.  8 or 9 years later, I still own (and love) my canti-Hillborne which
is dialed in to my personal tastes (learned from the other bikes)  Although I
also bought a dedicated mtb a couple of years later, I still like throwing on
my trail wheelset and taking the Hillborne out on fire trails.  It is by far
the most comfortable bike I’ve ever owned. I can’t see ever replacing it.

John
Niles, CA