Sounds like a great idea to me. I have a Jamis Aurora that I've rebuilt with a
bunch of Riv-esque parts over the years, and I've always hoped to swap out the
frame for a Sam when the time came. My only reservation is that the Jamis is my
daily commuter, and it manages a nice balance of being nondescript but also a
pleasure to ride. I have secure bike parking at my school, but a Rivendell as a
daily commuter in a big city feels like more of a risk than I'd like. That
said, a lot of the people I encounter riding my similarly Riv-ed out BMC
Monster Cross think it's an antique I rescued from a garage sale, so maybe a
similarly appointed Sam wouldn't attract as much attention as you'd think.