I had a Cross Check and for the money it's really hard to beat.
There's only one thing I really didn't like about it. The top tube was a bit
short, this really showed itself in the area of toe overlap and you had to use
a really long stem to run Albatross handlebars. Running fenders was doable but
only just. On the positive side it was one of the most comfortable bikes to
pedal, for whatever reason my seat position relative to the pedals was just
perfect! I eventually took the Albatross bars off and switched to a Jitensa (or
similar) bar which the second owner kept, were still on it as it passed to the
third owner & are likely still on it.
A Sam will be a similar bike while being completely different  at the same
time. It will cure many of the things I found "off" about the CC AND it'll look
great!