As the Book of Job saith ("seth,") *Wisdom is with the aged, and
understanding in length of days.* (King James version, 1611, non-revised,
accept no substitutes, amen.)

Moulton has always been and is now and ever shall be a simple Brit working
class bloke, but a capacity for self-reflection augmented by the detachment
of old age (he's 84 -- and still cycling) has him posting some interesting
observations; among which, this one:

http://davesbikeblog.squarespace.com/blog/2020/8/17/a-slice-in-time.html?lastPage=true&postSubmitted=true

I'm a generation younger -- born into Ike's first adminstration -- but am
temporally close enough to get a sense and to have sympathy for Moulton's
situation. My parents were upper/professional class while Moulton was very
definitely working class, but I grew up in ex-Brit-Raj-colonies and have
read -- and watched -- widely in modern Brit Lit and Hist and Cultural
goings-on, and Moulton's description of his boyhood and young adulthood
resonate because even if I didn't live them, I read much about them and
watch much about them.

To grow up with a father distanced from his family by 5 years of horrible
wartime experiences; and someone who, doubtless, was ill educated and not
at all prone to reflect on his own experiences, his own reactions to these,
and to the effect on his family of these reactions -- it's sad to think
about Moulton growing up in such family circumstances; sad to think of his
father's effect on his mother.

But age also bringeth resolution, and Moulton has come to the end of his
life with an attitude of acceptance, forgiveness, equanimity, and peace
that makes these his late musing interesting by human criteria, as well as
by cycling criteria.