For me, mirrors are a must!

Right now, I have German Mirrors on my albatross bars.

Without bar end shifters, I like the Mirrcylcle bar end mirror, with the
stem pointed down mirror pointed out, so it doesn't interfere with my hands
at all (most pics have the stem pointing up mirror pointed out).  The
mirror I think (remembering) is a better mirror than the German one.  Plus,
I could rotate it in, so it doesn't make my bike even wider in the hallway.

I used to have a mirror on my helmet and I liked that, got a new helmet and
didn't replace the mirror.  But as Paul Brodek commented, you have to be
careful not to damage it when you remove your helmet.

In Philadelphia, they are moving some, but not all, of the bike lanes from
the right to the left, necessitating two mirrors per bike.  I might try
Nick's helmet mirror suggestion for my left lane travels.