This is not ideal, but I've found that a work around is to revert your
Groups to the old style (click Settings > Return to classic Google Groups)
allows you to send private messages to posters. If you prefer the style of
the new Groups, you can change it back by clicking the "View New Groups"
button in the upper left when you're finished sending the PM.

Still, it's a good idea to include an email in your post--makes things
easier for everyone.

Thanks,
Ray