New newer newest ...
Standard oversised ...
normal short long ...
Traditional ...

All relative terms whose meanings morph and evolve and the use of which may
or may not make sense to one depending on how long you've been paying
attention.
>From where I sit the waterford AHH and atlantis were the last of the more
"traditional" Riv designs, the break being 6 deg top tubes and more limited
sizing.
With the longer wheelbase MIT models its another leap from "traditional".
Maybe it's because I grew up before mountain bikes, but to my eye
side/center pull brakes are traditional while cantilevers (not to mention V
brakes) are new fangled. Discs new fangleder yet.
But I think RBW would say they aren't about tradition but about practical
bikes and what works.

There were side pull Roms and canti-Roms, there were side pull Salukis and
canti Salukis, there've been canti Sams and side pull Sams, the SOs were
going to be side pull but the builder used the wrong rear brake bridge so
they ended up canti. Prior to their recent embrace of V brakes (and the
slow march towards ever bigger and bigger tires) RBW seemed quite agnostic
wrt the whole canti vs side/center pull thing, and they went back and forth
quite a bit.

I'm continually amazed at how strongly many folks feel about various types
of brakes. In my (admittedly somewhat limited) experience they all can work
fine. That said, I find side/center pull calipers the easiest and least
fidly to set up. If they (side/center pull) yield sufficient clearance I
don't see a strong argument against them.
I'm glad you got the bike you want, I'm also glad my wife's Sam has dual
pivot brakes.