I rode my Rambouillet across the country on the Adventure Cycling Trans-Am
route, Western Express route. Not self-supported. After the trip I wanted a
bike like the Rambouillet, not like a Long Haul Trucker. The latter,
without load, is like driving around in an F-250 pickup with nothing in it
and I was happy to suffer some austerity of wardrobe options and a lot of
hand washing on the trip to get it.

I used a Carradice Nelson Longflap on the long credit card tour and
actually talked the others out of a self-supported trip because everyone
would need a new bike. They didn't understand how much stuff we'd have to
carry along every day and how much water volume above that the deserts of
Utah were going to dictate That ride is completely different schlep if
self-supporting.

The reasonable limit on my large (64cm) Ram was 20 pounds in the saddle bag
(which is more than Grant wrote) and I could feel some poor handling at the
top of that range since the load is up high. I still wonder how I carried
enough in that 15 liters of space to account for all the weather and
mechanical support.

I did enjoy a shower, bed and AC in the locations along the route we stayed
because even those little places campsites were outside of town and half
the fun of the route was knowing that you rolling into town on a bike was
often the high point of peoples' day. Eating in a diner with them for
dinner and breakfast provided conversations that kept the group fresh and
gave us insight such as we hoped to as we crossed the country.

I have added a Velo Orange rando bag in the front to gain more capacity for
a short trip in potentially questionable weather on the 2012 Riv Rally
East. I have to say that while I managed the load it was not a graceful
fitment. I can't say that low front bags would be bad but it's be a shape
to dampen that fork's liveliness by bridging it with a rack and loading it
up. The lack of braze-ons of that bike is intentional.

I learned a lot about riding my Ram with loads within its design intention
and then beyond. I have that shorter experience in overload and I have
ridden it extensively on the GAP. While it might have been designed to ride
all surfaces, that takes it to 85% of the design limit. Its riding weight
(it, me and cargo) are too rear biased and require rear tire pressure to be
high enough (max 32 under fenders) to avoid pinch flats/rim dings on longer
rides. It just wore me out at times, either by the duration of jostling on
a hard tire or the time spend changing tubes from flats when more
comfortable.

My years learning and riding my Rambouillet  helped me solidify the likes
and dislikes I brought together in a new bike. I still do not want to ride
a self-supported touring bike empty, which would be 90%+ of its time so my
preference was to move the 20-25# load to the front (with low trail) to
balance the wheels' loads allowing more even tire pressure, fewer rim dings
and comfortable ride. I chose 650b x 42 tubeless to lower that flatting
frequency. So I have that new bike, a Coast rando, and it does all that I
wanted on day one. I still have the Rambouillet and am about to ride it to
work in a few minutes. I wouldn't change a thing about it after these
years, proof of which is the Disc Trucker sitting next to it that has a
layer of dust because even with its generator hub and lights I'd rather be
riding the Ram with clip on battery lights for the commute instead of that
empty F-250.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh