Hi Mark,

I'm by no means an expert so others are welcome to disagree with me if I'm
giving poor advice, but to answer your questions:

1. The rust on those chainstays doesn't look good to me. I've bought a
number of used bikes where this has occurred, and it's almost always been
caused by a kickstand. From that photo, I'm almost positive that's what's
happened because if you look at the left chainstay, it looks like there is
a dent as well probably caused by overtightening a kickstand plate. It
might just be surface rust, in which case you could use a wire brush to
remove it and cover it with some nail polish clear coat and should be okay.
But I would give it a good strong poke with a screwdriver or similar to
make sure it isn't structural.

2. I don't have any experience with Handsome cycles or this RB-2
specifically so I can't speak to a comparison. Looking at their geometries
the RB-2 does seem to be more of a traditional road bike, but you could get
a more aggressive position from the Handsome by swapping the stem and
handlebars (and subsequently brakes/shifters) and I don't think that would
be out of character for that bike. That said, I have bikes with flat bars
that ride more upright and bikes with drops for longer road rides and I do
enjoy having the options for either. There are vertical storage solutions
for keeping bikes in smaller spaces that he might look into if he goes that
route.

3. I do not think so. But this is a tough question to answer objectively.
There are things that weigh into that price like the NYC market and the
Bridgestone cult status and the COVID bike boom. But I have seen early 90s
RB-2s in similar or better condition sit on Craigslist for 250 and less in
other areas. I think if he was patient he could find a better deal.

4. Yes, definitely. Would need to know more about what he is hoping to get
from a second bike and what he would use it for before I could make
recommendations, but if he's in the used, older-bike market, there are tons
of bikes that would be comparable to this one and in many ways nicer for
similar money if he's not married to the idea of Bstone (no shame in that
btw).