I've long been a steel guy, but I'm very happy with my aluminum Ragley
Marley. It rides as well as most of my steel bikes did, and it's lighter
and cheaper. The new geo is spectacular downhill and in otherwise sketchy
situations.

The best bang for the buck I see right now is:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/vitus-sentier-29-vr-mountain-bike-2021/rp-prod195562

I don't think you'll touch this build (Deore 12 speed, Marzhocchi Z2 bomber
fork, and dropper post for $1300) with anything from an LBS.

There's a 27.5" version as well, take your pick. I like 27.5, actually, but
most folks like 29ers these days.

These were briefly in stock last week and sold out quickly. Maybe put in
the notification for the in stock notice.

Eric