Some context: put a new wheel on my Appaloosa a few days ago.  New wheel,
all other parts of the drivetrain the same.  A few minutes  into the first
ride around the block, I heard a ping from the rear of the drivetrain.
 Stopped to see if the chain was off.  Nope.  Got on and didn't hear it
again until later in the ride.  But only once more.

Back at home, admiring the new wheels, spun the pedals backward and hopped
on to ride down the driveway.  As soon as I pedaled, PING.

So, drivetrain noise are notoriously irritating to root out.  This one is
driving me nuts.  I've done the following:
-Put another wheel on the bike to see if it still made the noise. It did
not.
-Put a new chain on. Still made the noise.
-Tuned up my rear derailleur. Still made the noise.
-Swapped cassette. Still made the noise.
-Put the rear wheel on another bike. It made the same noise on the other
bike.
-Tightened every bolt / nut in the drivetrain to manufacturer's spec using
a torque wrench.
- Pulled apart rear hub and examined freehub pawls. No apparent damage.
Cleaned and relubed freehub. Reinstalled. Still made the noise.
-Inspected and reinstalled the axle. Still made the noise.
 -Checked and adjusted spacer on cassette. Still made the noise.

What variable have I not yet isolated and tested???  Where does the pinging
gremlin live???

I'd love to hear some suggestions.

Here's a video complete with the ping:
https://youtu.be/4v4TO9NKpAE