The wheel building section in the "library" on the Wheel Fanatyk site
provides lots of excellent tips:
https://www.wheelfanatyk.com/wheelbuilding-library/

I built my most recent set of wheels after cogitating over many of the tips
and guidelines laid out there and I'm happy as could be.

I did most of the work in the frame of the bike they were for. Once they
were pretty much there I used a truing stand and tensiometer for the final
twists of the wrench. If you have a decent ear you can tension to pitch! I
almost got it!

- Teague in Boise