It will in fact work and yes you will drive yourself crazy trying to keep
track of all this. Shadow is just a designation for an mtb mech that sits
flush so you (supposedly) won't crash it on rocks, Riv sold the XT772
Shadow for years. I've gotten them to index 9-speed bar-ends and 10-speed
Ultegra brifters.

Where things go sideways is 10-speed and up Dyna-Sis, if you find a rear
derailer like that it'll need its dedicated clicker.