on 4/20/10 4:36 AM, Thomas Lynn Skean at thomaslynnsk...@comcast.net wrote:

> Question: a couple folks indicated that the 35mm @60 psi combination
> was too low a pressure. Was that intended to suggest that higher
> pressure would help avoid my wheel problems? That seems counter-
> intuitive.

I was just a bit suprised that you were having such significant wheel issues
without pinch flatting. It struck me that while 60 psi may be giving you a
smooth ride, the volume might be sub-optimal for your weight and
distribution percentage.

My own arrival at appropriate pressure is very subjective and reasonably
personal - it's only recently that I came across Jan's publishing of the
"15%" sag findings. Spreadsheet in xls format here -

http://groups.google.com/group/rbw-owners-bunch/files?&sort=date

Basically, for my trails and riding style, if the bike is bouncing, I back
off the pressure until the tires just barely deflect on the hardest,
nastiest edges that I hit at normal speeds.  Then I sort of forget about it
until they lose enough air that I feel them really compress on rocky edges.

The worst wheel damage I've caused recently was courtesy of inattention,
followed by sliding about a couple feet sideways down an embankment onto a
paved roadway.  Lots of side load and I hit the saddle hard as the bike hit
pavement. Didn't pinch flat, but ganked the rim.

This was _after_ smacking it back straightish...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyclofiend/2643604057/

The hub was fine, and the spokes were reused to a new rim. Which is sort of
the way I'd expect failures to occur - tire/tube before rim before spoke
before hub.

Back in freewheel mtb days, I used to bend a goodly number of axles, but
haven't in a while.

> Also, the "max" pressure on these tires is either 70 or 80 psi. While
> the value of that figure as an absolute max is questionable, it
> suggests to me that using 60psi is not all that unexpected. If the
> suggestion is that I'm subject to pinch flats... well, to date all of
> my flats have been due to either my ham-handedness changing a tire or
> a Pasela sidewall failures (4 of those within 2000 miles). None have
> been pinch flats or even road-hazard flats. And I've had no other tire
> fail at all, so I think the Pasela failures are Panaracer's failures,
> not mine. Of course, YMMV.

Hmmm... such spoke/failures (particularly without any pinch flatting) would
point me back to looking at the dropout alignment or rear triangle alignment
on the frame. You can get a sense of frame alignment with the string test
described on Sheldon's site:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

You are running the right hubs for your frame spacing, right?

- Jim

--
Jim Edgar
cyclofi...@earthlink.net

Cyclofiend Bicycle Photo Galleries - http://www.cyclofiend.com
Current Classics - Cross Bikes
Singlespeed - Working Bikes

Get your photos posted: http://www.cyclofiend.com/guidelines

"Then I sat up, wiped the water out of my eyes, and looked at my bike, and
just like that I knew it was dead"

-- Robert McCammon, "Boy's Life"