Just rode it for an hour on dirt except for a mile or so of pavement. Bar
too low; need an upriser stem of about same length to get bar higher and a
bit closer. Higher and closer, the 54 cm will be pretty just-right, tho' my
left palm has always started tingling after 2 to 10 miles, depending on the
type of "anything-except-drop" bar. BUt after 11 miles, my palm is just
starting to tingle. I'll replace the stem, then if that does not suffice,
consider a bar with some fore/aft bend.

WTB Rangers (3") are quite nice! The outer knobs rub delicately on the
chainstays when I corner of hit a hard bump, but this is a beater, and I am
sure that those stays are not .4mm thick. Let 'em rub! The Rangers roll
relatively fast on pavement (sure, the gear is only 64" and the crankarms
are, I think, 180s, but still, compared to other knobbies, these do seem to
roll fast -- better, even, than the nice Maxxis Ikons that I installed on
my erstwhile late-Santa-Cruz-era (1996) Bontrager Race Lite. I am chuffed!
And the fatness (sounds like the KJV) just makes the ride plush and smooth,
even if slow and somewhat plodding; it's *nice* plodding.