Good question :-)

I went pretty mental for wide drops over the last couple of years. My habit
started with a set of Funn G-Wides a couple of years ago. 500mm wide, 620mm
at the drops. That's as wide as
the bars on some of my older mtbs. I have them on an old 26er MTB.

Based on those, I also put wider bars on my cyclocross bike (Ergotec
Randonneurs). Not as wide as the Funn G Wide, but still give a bit more
control.

I also bought a set of Crust Towel Racks, 615mm at the drops, but they only
arrived recently and I haven't ridden them much. The certainly feel big -
quite a deep drop.

Finally, I have recently bought a set of Curve Walmer bars for a 27,5+ MTB.
I bought the widest Walmer bars, 750mm at the drops. I set them really high
so the drops are the main position. Can't even really ride the flats at
all. I like them a lot, although it took a bit of tweaking to get the wrist
position right. I found that for me, angling the drop up a bit helps. They
give a lot of leverage in technical and muddy terrain and when climbing. I
like descending in the drops more than on flat MTB bars anyway, and being
able to do s with extra wide bars feels even better. Main problem is that
there aren't many bikes actually designed for these bars. I have a LD stem
plus 80mm of spacers which looks a bit wacky TBH. The LD is also very short
- 40mm extension. But it all works so far based on about 1000km riding. I
don't have any back problems at all with these bars so far. Even the Funn
bars feel a bit wimpy and narrow after riding the Walmers for a while.
However, the Walmers have a much smaller drop and reach. I think Curve
realised that just widening a normal bar is not a good idea. You need to
shrink the drop and reach to balance the extra width.

Main benefit of wide bars is more control and leverage, plus being able to
carry a bigger bar bag, and room for accessories on the bars. Disadvantage
is that the drops position is not comfortable for long periods unless you
can get the bars up high enough. So you need a bike with a really high
stack. Some claim that wide bars make it easier to breathe but I can't say
I've noticed this.

The other issue is that this whole trend is based on some rather esoteric
ideas about ergonomics that haven't been tested properly AFAIK. So it might
be that these bars cause some unforeseen problems in the long run. I've not
read anything on ultra wide drops by anyone who really knows about
ergonomics.

I think eventually we will find a sweet spot where drops become wide enough
to be useful to people riding off road or for loaded touring, but not so
wide that they might cause back or wrist problems. But I don't think we're
there yet. If you do have back or wrist problems, be especially aware when
setting up wide drops.

Finally, I previously tried some Nitto Dirt Drops and some One One Midges
and couldn't get on with them at all. The Nittos caused instant and quite
severe upper back pain, no matter how high I set them, and I did try to set
them very high. The Midges caused lower back pain. Maybe something to do
with the extreme flare and/or the way the drops are angled on those bars.

Cheers,
Johnny in Belgium