If you are comparing a mixte and a diamond Rivendell frame, you could have
both bikes set up in a similar way, with a handlebar that swoops back and
is set up fairly high. In that case the ride would not be all that
different. Mixte frames are usually designed for a higher handlebar so you
do not have to use a long stem and I think they look better than a diamond
frame when using that setup. I have a mixte frame bike set up with swoopy
handlebars just above seat height and another which is a diamond frame with
drop bars set at about the same height. The riding experience is very
different. It's a slower, leisurely ride on the mixte with a good view in
all directions. I'm leaning a little more forward on the diamond bike and
so my pedaling is more efficient. On the drop bars I can change my hand
position up/down and forward/back more easily. It's much better if I am
going for a longer ride. The mixte is better around town. A lot of the
difference in ride depend on how you set the bike up and not as much on the
frame. If you are talking about non-Rivendell frames, many are not as
adaptable to being set up different ways.
Linda