118 mm rear dropout OL spacing, to accommodate a 114 mm SA AM hub as well
as a Surly 120 mm hub, but I wish I'd had it spaced at 114 mm because I
just got a NOS *(NOS!!)* SA TF hub dated 1937 *(NOS!!)* from Hilary Stone
that I mean to have built into the default wheel for the new Matthews 26"
wheel road bike (the clone and improvement on the 2003 Curt Goodrich Riv
Road custom). The TF 2-speed fixed hub is the simplest of SA's hubs, with a
direct and 25% underdrive, and, so reports go, very little lash. The AM,
again, has direct, 11.15% overdrive and 86.54% underdrive: 72/65/56 gear
inches.

The frame is built with standard gauge .8/.5/.8 wall 531.

The Matthews frame has dynamo wiring inside the right fork leg running to
crown, thence under fender to arch holding Edeluxe, with tail light wire
running from Edeluxe back under fender to crown, where it pops out to run
to an internal tube in the top tube back to just under the seat cluster,
and pop out again to enter the left seatstay for a bit, and exit just above
the custom rack where it enters the central rack strut to run back to the
tail light. As an additional custom touch I have spliced the tail light
wire to power a Secula lamp clamped on the seatstay just above the wire
exit, so that the SON powers 2 taillights and the headlight.

The chainstays were measured to put the axle at the center of the custom
cut, very long, plate (= thin, to accommodate the short SA axles) dropouts
so that, with 17 t fixed cog or 19 t AM cog the wheel with Naches Pass 42
mm tires is pretty much centered under the VO hammered 50 mm fenders.

Must take a new photo ....

When I as 16 or so, as my second custom build, I tore apart and fully
rebuilt an ancient Varsity: took it completely apart, stripped frame, spray
painted (Flit gun, oil-based gloss enamel) black, and hand pinstriped it,
adding a hand-made headbadge cut, bent, drilled, and engraved, made from
one of my mother's brass coasters. Dog (very doggy) Latin, *Secundum
Ventus.* Replaced Alvit drivetrain with 16 and 18 cogs on AW hub and Cyclo
Benelux rd with 39 or 40 t inner ring. Whitewall tires, aluminum fenders.
They heavy 1/8" chain hit the stay over bumps, so I cut a guard from a tin
can, and bolted it silver inside outward to the stay. A rather nice looking
bike.

On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 11:04 AM Matthew Williams <
matthewwilliamsdes...@gmail.com> wrote: .... What's a detail you've added
to your bike? Has anyone noticed? Does your bike have a scuff that reminds
you of a good ride? Does one of your grips have a spot where your thumb
tends to rest? Did you add a pinstripe, a sticker, or a custom-fabbed
bracket? Post photos of your finishing touches and share a story about your
favorite subtle detail or beausage.