"On the Sam that Riv built for me the bar ends are grey and I'm running a
double just fine. "

That makes sense. The gray bar-ends have enough throw you can run a double
just fine (my usual application). It's just a matter of setting the limit
screws. It's when you try to shift a triple with a unit designed for a
double that you will run into issues. In my experience the gray will shift
anything; the black will not.

Mike M