Hi Kate,
Welcome! I, too, am awaiting a platypus. I've collected parts over the
pandemic and can hardly wait to build it up for the spring season.

For gearing decisions, take a note of your current bike. You mention that
you rarely use the big ring. What gearing do you typically use? What low is
adequate for your steep climbs in NJ and PA? What is the highest gear that
you use? I'd use these points to start my thinking of what cassette and
chainring(s) to choose. That might inform whether you can go with 1X or
double.

I've got a Riv S!lver crankset (wide/low with guard). I don't need the
small chainring. I might run it as 1X, which will simplify things (no front
derailer+shifter needed), but I have the parts and maybe it'll come in
handy for an infrequent heavy grocery run or something...

Good luck!
shoji
Arlington MA