The place I feel squishy engages is when there is fore/aft "rocking"
on the bike.  For me, "squishy" is too far.  It's a sliding scale,
depending on surface conditions, how hard I'm riding and how alert I
am.

At one point, I let the pressure go waaaaay low while using JB's on
the Hilsen (622 size).

http://ramblings.cyclofiend.com/?p=208

I can take a pretty wide range of prssures, but if there's a kind of
hobby-horse motion when I'm leaning into a turn on pavement, then I'll
bring things up a bit.

Kinda like art and ... uh... other stuff.  I know it when I feel
it. ;^)

- Jim