Thanks, Mike. Agree that $115 is rather dear for this bike, and Shimano's
EH 500 is only $80 or so. Pat, the ISSI Flip 3 also looks viable -- RBR
gave it a good review -- but again, $100.

But for the moment, I am retrogressing back to the "SPD versus clips and
straps" conundrum. Clips and straps is the best of all worlds, except that
I don't own any shoes suitable for clips and straps in off road dirt, so
I'm back to the SPDs at this point. I wear slippers indoors, and when going
out generally slip on boat shoes/moccasins or cowboy boots. Slip ons are
fine for pavement riding or taking the dog for a quick run on dirt, but not
for extended rides in our sandy soil. Perhaps the solution will be a cheap
pair of casual lace up shoes from Target.