I wrap from the ends, first cork, then cloth.  The cork makes it all
the way to the top of the bar, several inches from the stem.  One roll
of cloth makes it just several inches past the brake lever because of
the increased diameter, so I use two rolls of cloth on each side (ends
up 1.5 with pieces left over).  I start the second roll just
overlapping with the first and make one full revolution before
continuing up the bar.  Twine at the end and shellac the whole thing.
I know two rolls of cloth on each side seems excessive, but I am so
happy with the looks and comfort and I think it should last a long
time.