This post has me thinking about guitars, fly fishing, and cycling.
Long before I bought a Riv I acquired a taste for woody Martin guitars
and and favored my Winston traditional trout rod over my Sage
artillery pieces.  My fly boxes are adorned with modern bead-headed
and foam flies (trout bling), but I prefer to tie furry little
traditional bugs.  80% of the trout I catch fall for traditional
nymphs and dries.  In a way, those things opened me up to owning a
Rivendell and not the other way around.

That said, I wouldn't trade my gore-tex waders for old rubber chest
waders.  I play a very nice Taylor guitar when I have to plug in or
want it to be loud and bright.  I will fish my fast action fly rods
when the situation demands--i.e. when casting heavy streamers to
steelhead or big trout in big water, but just because I can cast 70
feet of shooting head with this gear doesn't mean I love doing it, nor
does it bring me more pleasure than a well placed thirty foot cast
that drops a size 18 Adams into a slot six inches wide and three feet
long. The point, I suppose, is to be objective about new technology
and its so called advantages.  Sometimes the advantages are real, but
often its just hype to get you to buy another version of something you
already have or an attempt to push everyone to the extreme edge of
their hobby or sport.

Do enjoy that new bamboo rod--I'm sure its a lovely reed.  What are
the specifics of the rod (wt., length) and what reel did you put on
it?

And noting the other posts--I use a fountain pen.  I think gardening
counts and I don't know why something as practical as sewing wouldn't
count as well.

D.G.