On Apr 26, 9:13 am, "Darin G." <dbg...@mac.com> wrote:
> I have a big rack on my Sam which supports my commuting panniers
> nicely.  I haven't toured with it yet, but it would easily fit one of
> the newer therma-rest pads.  The NeoAir for example is 4 X 9 packed
> and could go in a pannier or sit on top.

4 inches x 9 inches?  How wide and long is it when it is inflated?

> A down sleeping bag in a
> waterproof stuff sack would sit up their easily as well.  I have
> already moved in this direction for backpacking gear to save weight
> and space as a down sleeping bag packs down to about the size of a
> loaf of bread

In my opinion, down is only appropriate for snowy climates.   If you
get down wet, it won't work anymore.  The first time you ever try to
wash and then dry a down sleeping bag or jacket, you will realize the
world of hurt you will be in if you get one wet.  They take longer
than a week to dry out.

> If the horseshoe continues to perplex look at a Bruce Gordon rack.  No
> horseshoe there.

Thanks.