Jay - agreed that the Basket rack is not the best tool for the job, but its
the tool I have right now and i'm not in the mood to spend another $280 on
a (very nice) rack. I also don't know if I would like the impact the front
load would have on the bike yet, hence trying to use what I have and give
it a shot for a shorter trip (if its safe).

Mike - the panniers I have are the swanky PR ones that basically have those
straps built into the carriers, so it would be redundant. BUT that is a
good idea none-the-less when dealing with the "elastic-hook" style panniers

Bill - Thanks, the redundancy of the irish strap would be helpful. I also
like the idea of drilling the T-plate for the extra daruma (I have a pair
sitting in my parts box, so lucky me!), but not ready for that commitment
yet. I think I'll give a shot with the irish strap and hit the nearby
trails with a camping load and see how it goes (or doesn't).

Any other thoughts or concerns?