I've had similar thoughts about my 1st run Hunqapillar vs the Appaloosa or
the new 55 cm Atlantis.  From what I remember reading over the years, I
think the old Hunqapillars and Bombadils are probably quite a bit lighter
in weight than the Appaloosa and new Atlantis.  I remember seeing numbers
like "0.8 straight gauge" for the Bombadil and the Hunqapillar is supposed
to be very similar to the Bombadil in tubing.  OTOH, Will sent me the specs
on the Appaloosa tubing and it's thick, with several 1.x numbers in there.

In theory, the 54 Appaloosa should ride almost identically to my 54
Hunqapillar with the the exception of the chainstay length.  I would love
to ride them back-to-back.

I've thought about picking up a 55 Atlantis frameset when they come back
next year, but I've pretty much decided that if I did, I would hold on to
my Hunqapillar until I had some time on the Atlantis, and then I would
decide which one to keep.  Old Hunqapillars and Bombadils are not not easy
to come by.