Obviously you can run disc hubs with rim brake rims, but hub spacing would
play a role depending on your rear hub spacing if running a disc hub. I
wouldn't spread say a 130mm rear triangle to fit a 142mm hub. Hopefully,
Shimano will provide interchangeable endcaps but I don't foresee a future
where good rim brake hubs are not around.