Since it was my bike that started this discussion I'm going to chime in
again:

I think that whether you like the look of the double tubes or not is
strictly personal preference and I would never argue that.

Apparently Rivendell had structural failure issues with some of their
earlier big bikes and they opted to start using two top tubes. They could
have gone other ways and used heavier tubes or perhaps larger or ovalized
tubing on the down tube. I believe that it's hard get enough lateral
stiffness on these big bikes with their long tubes on the main triangle.

I have an early '90's vintage Santana tandem and the main bottom tube is
ovalized for one reason, lateral stiffness.

While I have never jumped off three foot ledges with my DTT Atlantis I do
weigh almost 220 lbs in touring clothes and I have been on rides where my
bike, camping gear, food and water weighed over 80 lbs. The section of the
Western Express across Nevada has 17 mountain passes and on every one of
those descents I was very happy to have that second top tube.

The angled or curved second tubes on the Rivs serve to strengthen the bike
and they do look cool if that is your preference but they would compromise
use in my experience. My frame pump fits nicely in between the parallel
tubes and a normal triangular frame bag fits below.

These are just my opinions. Your milage my vary.

Don J
Boise, Idaho/Don't move here