I'm finding this thread more helpful than expected.

I wanted to add this in order to simplify:

"Front derailers don't generally care how many gears you have in back,
though models designated for higher numbers of speeds may have slightly
narrower cages , so they might be a bit more fussy in adjustment/trim when
used with wider chains."
- sheldonbrown.com/speeds.html

If people have found exceptions to that rule I would be happy to hear them
- would be good to know.

Double or triple cranks/rings vs. double or triple FD simplifies when
you're friction shifting up front, which is even easier than in the back.
Then you just gotta see about the reach/throw of the FD.
Good catch on spindle length part of this equation! And I see how the bash
guard kind of confuses things with setting the FD height.

I'm setting up a FD on a Toyo Atlantis. Of course all 3 FDs I have are all
31.8 mm clamps. I'll shim.
Thinking about puttin a lever right on the FD.
Back end of the cage was looking close to hitting the chainstay on first
mock-up. Might need a shorter cage. Nicely shown by Laing.

Joe that is awesome you offered up a FD, a campy at that. If it doesn't
work for Tom, I'd gladly buy it off you for a campy build in the q. Or feel
free to tell me to stop swooping on parts :)

Nice work group.
-Matthew
San Diego