Kate, I love your idea for transport to Pittsburgh from NJ. You are lucky
to be able to roll on your bike with NJ Transit. I live in Richmond and all
Amtrak south of DC offers only one train a day with a bike baggage car. It
heads north to NYC on its way from Miami. I have to switch to another train
at Union Station to head west, and the timing is not always good,
especially when many trains run late. (This last one was 2 hours behind, so
we set up our first camp 30 miles down on the C&O in the dark, not a big
problem.)
I suspect those westward Amtrak trains for bikes also are limited too,
since we have occasionally Taken the train from Cumberland, Md. to do the
GAP only and also had limited options.
Good luck!
Paul Germain
Midlothian, Va.