Leah,

Yellowstone/Beartooth/Wyoming/Montana is my home territory, so here are my
thoughts to hopefully put your mind at ease:

-  Other than keeping your saddle covered, which is always a good idea,
don't worry about summer snow storms.  What most people don't realize is
that it's as arid here as it is in Vegas.  As soon as the snow/slush/rain
passes (which will be quick), everything will dry quickly.  Rust is mostly
a non-issue.  Rooftop racks are better than hitch racks if you MUST drive
through the rain, because the bikes won't get road spray on them, but they
get bug splats otherwise.  But the same truth usually holds:  pull over,
take a break, and the roads will dry out in no time.  Another nice thing to
know is that hey don't use as much salt on the roads here as they do in
other parts of the country where there is less snow but where constant
thaw/freeze cycles and humidity can create really slick conditions.
Beartooth doesn't even get plowed in the winter.  So the worst of the
corrosion-inducing elements is also not a worry.

-  There was some sort of significant societal change in the last year or
two, and theft HAS become an issue where it never was before.  It's
probably still mostly crimes-of-opportunity rather than organized rackets
though.  So cable locks are probably good for most things other than remote
trailheads, but I agree with others:  Take your bikes in the hotel room at
night, or at least leave the car parked somewhere well-lit.  Also remember
that relatively few people realize what a Rivendell is, or recognize how
good they are.  And most who do are kindred spirits who are  by nature,
less likely to commit bike theft.  $7,000 carbon fiber and full suspension
bikes are extremely common out here, where there's a lot of disposable
income, or recreation priorities, or both - and THOSE are the bikes that
thieves will target first.

So I say bring the bike you love, and make some memories.  Also, let us
know if you end up in Grand Teton or Jackson Hole.  We can steer you to
some nice family rides or maybe even join you.  (Also  my wife wants a
Platypus and would enjoy seeing yours, I bet.)