Steve, your experience is not unusual.  For the past 13 years I have
been a chaplain at a major medical center and have witnessed many,
many crises situations.  Unlike what you might see on TV the success
rate for CPR is very low.  Outside of a hospital, the survival rate,
long term, is about 2%.  Inside a hospital it rises to about 17%, but
in the long term about 4% return to their previous lifestyle.  Our
grief can lead us to feel people have acted callously, and sometimes
this may be true.  But unless you have some professional training your
chances of changing the outcome are very low.  Of course that doesn't
stop us from grieving.   I own a pair of Toms's saddles, and had the
opportunity to chat with him on the phone.  We are left with a sense
of helplessness, that we cannot change. I feel stunned.  My prayers go
out to his family and friends.

Michael