Hi Zack,
I stand to climb even with a full load on my touring bike. Alabas are at my
bare minimum width for this, but body types vary. I transitioned to a wider
bar and enjoy it more than the albas on this bike. The bars are generic
chrome steel from a bike I bought long a go, but they just work. I had the
bike loaded up for a test run this week and climbed well for me standing.
When climbing or acellerating as you describe, I pull on the bars and rock
the bike.
Go for it.
Tom Palmer
Twin Lake, MI