With all respect to your wife's taste in jewelry, I just can't get past the
fact that people question spending a few thousand dollars on a complex and
immensely useful machine like a bike, but don't bat an eye and spending
that kind of money on a few grams of stone and metal that has no moving
parts and offers no function beyond being an accessory.  What a wild
society we are a part of!

I would just counter that this is what a bike costs if you want dependable,
quality parts made by fairly paid people - and that in the long run, it'll
be a good deal, because it's made to last.  (Plus it has super high resale
value but I prefer not to think about selling!)