"*if you’re a keen cyclist <https://www.designboom.com/tag/bike-design/>,
you probably know the difficulty of the so-called ‘dead zone’ when
pedaling."*

So, yet another iteration of the "I don't feel like I'm getting the same
amount of power at every degree in the rotation"  fetish. Has everybody
exhausted their pile of discarded Biopace etc. chainrings already?

It's hard to make the argument that the "dead zone" is a problem, when your
advertising test dummy's feet aren't actually attached to the pedals.
Wouldn't slippage on the pedals account for more power variation than a
theoretical "dead zone"? In my mind, it certainly calls the designer's
quasi-scientific assertions into question. And does the improvement,
whatever it is, outweigh the liabilities of additional weight and the extra
set of single-manufacturer components to wear out?

This reeks of a non-cyclist engineer trying to fix a non-problem for the
benefit of his own ego/profit. If you're actually a "keen cyclist", you've
long since adjusted your pedaling style to accommodate any sense of a "dead
zone" you may happen to feel. Why wouldn't you? It's not as if every
bicycle you've ever pedaled doesn't pedal the same way.

Peter "surprised to discover how mad this seems to make me" Adler
pedaling normal cranks on normal bikes in normal ways, just like everybody
else in
Berkeley, CA/USA