Rivendell themselves put clear plastic protection on the drive side
chainstay of their frames - both the Rivendell frames I have came with the
protection already installed - so I don't see that you can say it's not
very Riv-ish.

For protecting the toptubes of the bikes, which have the bare brake cable
inner running along at about ten o'clock on the tube, I went to a motorbike
shop and bought a roll of 3M plastic tape intended for paint protection.
It's been installed for a good 20 years, hasn't peeled or yellowed, and
most people don't notice that it's there at all.

Nick