I've not made any rigorous measurements, but casual measurements that don't
isolate all non-riding time pauses, as stoplights, stops to adjust a shoe
or consult a phone, or weed out all the pre-ride shuffling and preparation
after I set Cycle meeter in motion, but don't include any very large pauses
like 20 minutes in a store, seem to back up my seat-of-pants impression
that ss is not itself a cause of large speed differences.

I've recently ridden my 1999 Joe Starck light (18 lb) gofast 76" gear fixie
shod with ineffably nice Elk Pass tires and yes, it does indeed seem
particularly fast, faster than my 2020 Matthews 2:1 build along same lines
but ~8 lb heavier, Naches Pass Regular instead of EP ELs, and with AM hub
epicyclic and SON 20R dynohub powering Edeluxe1 and 2 small tail lights. It
*feels* faster, as in ease of maintaining a cadence in a given gear in
given terrain.

*BUT!* Riding my 2015 Matthews 1:1 "road bike for dirt" with 2X10
drivetrain and 700C X 61 mm Big One extra lights: nope, this bike *feels* just
as fast as the 1999 Joe, and such times I've recorded on Cyclemeter
indicate that it's not slower in average speed.

This proves nothing at all, but it might indicate that there are causes of
speed differentials amongst which the slightly lower friction of a ss
drivetrain simply disappears.

Now, as to *handling,* there's not question which is "better."