Begging the moderators' forbearance, as this post has nothing to do with
bicycles. But it does have something to do with reading mail/posts from
this group, which is at least bicycle-adjacent.

Mail filtering in Apple Mail blows, and it always has blown. The training
phase for the Bayesian email filter works for a while, but once you move
from the training phase to the "segregate my junk mail out" phase, it seems
to stop learning anything new. You keep IDing new junk mail and correcting
false positives, but it doesn't seem to adapt.

For almost 20 years, ever since my Eudora days, I've been using an
aftermarket email filtration application: SpamSieve from C-Command Software.

https://c-command.com/spamsieve/

The filters are far more adaptable, you can add new filters at will, and
Michael Tsai (the programmer operating the one-man shop) provides
outstanding technical support. Years ago, I had a G5 tower that crashed
from overheating several times a day; one Saturday night, it crashed while
I had Apple Mail open. I restarted the computer as usual, and five minutes
later, I got a personal email from Michael Tsai, saying that he'd just
received a report that SpamSieve had crashed, and I should download a new
copy. Quizzically (I've never received unsolicited direct contact from a
developer, unless he was trying to sell me something), I told him about my
crash-prone computer, and said that SS was obviously working, as I had
Apple Mail open (SpamSieve launches and quits with the mail program it's
filtering). He sent me back an email saying "no, I can see that the
application's been corrupted, and here's the place in the log file the app
automatically sent me that shows it". All of this happened between 9:30 and
9:45 on a Saturday night. WOW!

That is such amazing support that I've bought (and failed to use) several
other of C-Command's utilities, just to keep Michael in business. In a
followup exchange with Michael ("hey, how did you get this information
without my contacting you?"), Michael told me that the same reporting
system that Apple uses to analyze OS/application crashes (the display that
appears after something crashes, which tells you something's crashed and
delivers a bunch of user-incomprehensible programmer information about the
reason for the crash) was also capable of sending the same information to
third-party developers. He said that most developers didn't use the option
of receiving those messages, but he wanted to know when his applications
failed and why.

Personally, I am a little twitchy about sending third parties information
in the background. But here I am, using a Google service; they're spying on
me all the time, and I have no idea what benefit I get in return. At least
I know what Michael's doing with his surveillance data.

SpamSieve works with a number of standalone email applications (Apple Mail,
Thunderbird, Outlook, Entourage, Postbox), but it doesn't work with webmail
such as Gmail, unless you're directing your Gmail feed into a traditional
email client. For Gmail viewed through a browser, you're forced to rely on
Google's filtering system, which (as my inner paranoiac tells me) is being
operated with intentions I do not share.

If your ISP is one of the remaining smaller, traditional local companies,
they may well provide spam filtration at their end. LMi, a local ISP in
Berkeley (not the one I use, but one that I've done contract work for and
to whom I regularly clients that need a lot of hand-holding) offers three
different levels of filtration, based on blacklists of bad actors. If you
use one of their filters, mail from those bad actors never hits your inbox
on the server, so you never see it at all. The advantage to a small ISP is
that mail they reject before it gets to their users' inboxes is mail that
isn't taking up valuable space on their hard drives, saving them money on
storage/electricity. Obviously, this requires a fair amount of trust in
your ISP's judgement.

Like most webmail providers, Google doesn't care much about wasted disk
space; they can afford the storage. Unfortunately, this also means they're
less concerned about collecting crap and dumping it in your lap. If you're
relying exclusively on Gmail's filtering system, expect to be disappointed.

A secondary complication with using anything other than browser-based mail
is that local filtering systems are specific to the filtering tool on each
device. As an example, if you're viewing email in Apple Mail on your Mac,
on your iPhone and on your iPad, each Apple Mail client will filter
depending on how the individual client is set. Like Gmail, Apple Mail
stores all your email in one database file; it then displays the mail based
on the settings in the local client. If mail you think is good shows up in
your spam folder on one device and your inbox on a second device, you have
to specify that the message is "good" on the offending device.

C-Command does not do a separate iOS/iPadOS version of SpamSieve, but he
does have a tutorial on integrating iOS-ish devices with a macOS/SpamSieve
system. The steps he outlines are useful for multi-device synchronization
of any mail filtering system, regardless of OS or filtering application/s:

https://c-command.com/spamsieve/help/iphone-spam-filtering

Peter Adler
Mac/networking consultant since the pre-Jobs 2.0 days in
Berkeley, CA/USA