Matthew,

We use a Yakima-brand roof-type rack atop our 2004 Honda Accord.  We
originally purchased that system back in 1989 (yes, they last a long
time).  In transferring that system from vehicle to vehicle, we purchased
IIRC *Q-clips* or some other such thing.  Parts that were *specific *to
that vehicle.  This system was not inexpensive because we had to buy the
towers, the clips and the crossbars.  After that, you then had to buy the
specific sport attachment, in this case a bicycle rack.  One of the reasons
we did do this was we enjoyed snow skiing (at that time) and so we
purchased snow ski mounts as well.  One could also buy a space case, a
basket or a canoe/kayak carrier.

For now, we have two single bicycle carrier trays and fork mounts
(Yakima-brand) where you do have to remove the front wheel (downside).  The
forks are secured by a quick-release lever and the rear tire rides inside
the carrier tray.  A ratcheting strap secures the tire (and thus the rear
of the bicycle).  Very secure (upside).  We've transported a pair of
bicycles in very strong crosswinds at highway speeds (65 - 70 mph) without
incident.  We also have a Yakima-brand tandem carrier.  Also very secure.
The tandem's bottom tube rides in a support which is then secured with two
(2) ratcheting straps.  The front wheel is removed and the fork is secured
with a very large diameter axle quick release.

The biggest downside to a roof-mounted rack is if one forgets that a
bicycle is riding on top and you drive into your garage.  I did this once
and yes, it is heart-breaking.  Not only the damage to the bike, but to the
car, rack and garage.  Luckily for me, that one time it only caused minor
damage.  But yeah, that is a very serious downside.  As others have
suggested, if you put a bike atop your rack you could place an object
inside your garage preventing you from unconsciously driving into your
garage.  Or you could unplug your garage door opener or some other such
idea.....

Since you currently have a new vehicle which kinda sits low (not like an
SUV), you might want to consider a roof-mounted rack system.  Again, not
inexpensive but if you need to transport your bikes to and from venues, it
is a pretty secure way to do so.

Good luck,

Jeff
Claremont, CA