Doug — Per the article, when called the police offer little help. When
stolen bikes are reported the police do not follow up. The police do not
seem to recognize the cost of the bikes ($2,000 -- $3,000) or, more
importantly, the importance of the bikes to the delivery people as a way to
make a living.

The group in the story has been able to help one another retrieve bikes and
get some shred of justice through organizing themselves! There are a few
successes in the story where the group have used social media to congregate
in large numbers to confront or chase down bike thieves. But these are very
dangerous situations often with intense, insane and aggressive responses
from thieves when confronted.

While there are surveillance cameras on the bridge they are pointed at
parked cars rather than pedestrian and bike thoroughfares. (The group has
approached the Dept. of Transportation to have the cameras reoriented). And
the area is seriously lacking in artificial light and very dark at night.
Because there is inadequate infrastructure for safety and city agencies
aren't offering much help (police dept. and dept. of transportation) the
group have implemented a system to traverse the sketchy Willis Avenue
Bridge in groups of no less than four.